The Job Experience: Tech Support, Year #3

Year 3

Pretty Bad Year

A super quick summary of where we are:

In Year 1 of my Tech Support position, I’d mostly adjusted to the routine and the politics of my software support job.

Then, in Year 2, I became better and faster, but at the same time the job stress started to increase.

This post finds me starting my third year of work in September of 2001.  But before I get going with personal experiences, let’s take a step away from the tiny life of the human named livingafi and see what’s happening in Silicon Valley as a whole.

The NASDAQ composite index had reached a peak of 5,000 at the end of my first year in September of 2000 before it started to decline.  It would eventually find its bottom around 1200 toward the end of Year 3, in October of 2002. Hundreds of tech companies went bust during these two years, shedding tens of thousands of terrific high-paying, upper-middle-class jobs.

Before landing my office gig, I would never have thought that the performance of a market index would have much, if anything, to do with day-to-day job satisfaction.  It simply didn’t occur to me that one number would wield so much influence over day to day operations of companies, and subsequently employee happiness.

But it did.  Let’s get into why, exactly, that is.

Navigation Tip:  There are links to additional pages (1-9) below, under the sea of garbage.

8 Responses to The Job Experience: Tech Support, Year #3

1. I still have never read YMOYL. Not sure if I’d get anything out of it at this point, but it’s impressive the number of people for whom that was THE book.

Financial epiphanies like this, to my mind, are vastly more transformational than any religious conversions (or deconversions, in my case).

Hey GC, thanks for stopping by. Yes, you could probably skip reading YMOYL because it’s just a reinforcement of things you already know and do.
      If I got my BS in 2009 instead of 1999, I surely would have found MMM’s blog instead of YMOYL. Might not even know what that book was! The internet’s really changed everything… the vast majority of people seek answers to life problems online nowadays. It’s probably for the best –more efficient this way, with search engines and all.

• Gamergirl says:

I actually found YMOYL back in 2005, I wish I’d found it earlier, before I went back to school for my masters degree. After I got my bachelor’s degree, I was saving 90% of my income from my job. I thought I was doing something wrong! So I went back to school for my master’s degree. Then I met ex and let him lead me down the path of spending all my money.

I still love YMOYL and recommend it to people who don’t like blogs.

I think “I wish I found it earlier” is the number one sentiment from folks who find MMM, EEE, YMOYL, etc. It sure would have helped me in Year 1 as well — although, the counter argument is that people aren’t necessarily looking to overhaul their lives until they’ve identified that they have a problem. It’s sort of like the AA thing: If you don’t think it’s an issue (yet), you’ll never look for a solution. I still shudder to think where I’d be had I not found YMOYL when I did. BTW, super-glad to hear that your spendy and destructive ex is just that — an ex. Without him weighing you down, you’ll get where you want to go for sure.

2. I’ve picked up bits and pieces from all over, some of YMOYL works and some doesn’t for me (every dollar and every year is not created equal, but I can’t exchange future dollars for earlier years). Probably why I’m still wandering the internet, there are gems everywhere, but no-one source has The Answer. Before YMOYL, I had a ‘Rich Dad’ phase. Although I didn’t want to get into real estate, I did like the concept ‘before you buy a Porsche, buy cash-flowing real estate yield and let your investments buy you the Porsche’. Of course, I dialed it back to a used MiniCooper and a mix of dividends and bond interest, but the general idea was sound🙂

Another part of YMOYL that sucks: All investment advice. Completely agree that there are wide differences in opinion when it comes to certain details in the FIRE journey. Some folks like DRIPing, others all paper, some renting, some quit early and find part-time employment just to ‘get them by’ while their initial pile of assets grow. There’s really no single right path and the best thing to do is gather as much data as you can and make an educated decision that works for you. I’m also extremely reluctant to be a landlord. I don’t want the hassle, but some many people on the forums really enjoy it.

3. Gamergirl says:

I LOVE this series, and I agree with another poster about the layout being very nice. It is long, but the images and the breakup between pages really aids in readability.

I really enjoy your blog, and particularly this series. Great stuff.