The Job Experience, IT Plumbing: Year #7

Don't cry, Mario -- There's a lot of coins up there.

You can’t dry tears with coins, Mario, no matter how many there are.

It’s Year 7 of my employment experience, and it’s changing me.

This year, I allow myself to be dragged down in petty fighting and office politics, even as the relationship that means the most to me explodes like a hamster in a microwave:  my girlfriend broke up with me.

Toward the end, certain wrongs get righted while certain rights get wronged, and the only solution seems to be to find a different brown pasture in which to ply my trade.

The blind pursuit of money sometimes makes us crazy.  This was the year I temporarily lost my sight.

Warning: If you’re game to read this ridiculously-lengthed post, clear half an hour and take a tylenol in advance, because this is going to be the longest blog entry you’ve ever consumed.

Navigation Tip:  There are links to additional pages (1-9) below, under the sea of garbage.

20 Responses to The Job Experience, IT Plumbing: Year #7

1. Damn son, I need a drink after reading this post (at 8 in the morning).

Cthulhu makes my bosses seem like the fun uncles everyone wants at the party.

Thanks for reading, GC. I hold Cthulu up as the model for bad bosses everywhere — he’s just absurdly, comically terrible at all times, almost as if he’s deliberately making an effort to be the worst ever. Every time I think about being rid of him, I involuntarily smile like crazy. He was let go from FinComp half a year after I left, btw. Lots of choice things said about him on the way out to HR by me and Beaker — and Statler and Waldorf started in on him soon after. There is occasionally justice in the world.

2. Holy moly! This series is E-P-I-C.

It’s a good reminder that whatever gripes I have with my job, things could be 140% worse.

I manage a team of software developers in the Boston area, and I would never treat my employees this way. Plus, good engineers are in such demand that we’d lose anyone with half a brain. The market is insane!

I’m hoping you get to have a decent manager before this series is over!🙂

Absolutely – my next boss is pretty terrific, all things considered. He’s proof that there’s a wide range of jobs and manager types out there, even within a particular industry. To your point about mistreated workers leaving their companies: that’s where the golden handcuffs came in. FinComp compensated people such that they felt entitled to increased expectations, on all fronts. BTW, please don’t EVER take my comments about some of my bosses personally — I know there are good ones out there from experience, and it seems like you’re doing your best to be one yourself. Cheers!

3. Gamergirl says:

Wow, I’m honestly surprised you lasted as long as you did there.

I also had deja-vu reading the part about the call two days before Christmas. Had you mentioned that moment in a different post before?

GG: You have a good memory. There was a thread on MMM which requested examples of people making use of their FU money, and I posted the Cthulhu quit story there – I’m sure that’s where you picked it up. I ended up lifting the text directly out of the forum, making minor edits for style, and dropping it in place here, its true home🙂

• Gamergirl says:

Ah, yes! That is where I saw it.😀

Love getting the entire story here.

I still find it funny that after everything Cthulhu boss put you through, being called on Dec 23 was your breaking point. The weekend work would have had me walking away long before. I’m surmissing it’s a bit like the frog in boiling water analogy, the phone call woke you up to the fact that you were being boiled alive by work.

I think that, honestly, I sort of knew by June or so that I was going to have to quit. But I *really* wanted the end of year bonus, and in addition I was continually, stupidly hopeful that something would happen out of the blue to fix the boss issue — like maybe a piano falling on his head or spontaneous tentacle combustion. Re: weekend work, you’re right on target with your boiling frog analogy, I really like that. It’s amazing what we get used to.

4. I had a maniac boss from 2011-2013 and my stress level was insane. He was fired last September and I took his job. The first thing I told the managers under me was “If I become a psychotic MF like him, let me know and I will gladly go back to my old position” So far so good. The funny thing is about 10 employees that were fired or quit over the last couple of years have come back to work. That is a personal reward that far exceeds any financial benefits. Also I dig the run therapy you started. I know may people have various issues that may need professional help, but I think if many people summoned their inner “Forrest Gump” and just started running many problems would be solved.

Keep it up, MDP – the world does need good managers. I’m absolutely sure your employees are very glad to report to a reasonable human being, and the fact that some have returned is validation enough. Interesting that you call it ‘run therapy.’ I probably should have sought professional help, given the situation. (I bet an analyst would have told me to quit, and I probably should have.) At any rate, I’m continually thankful to have all of that stuff firmly in the rear-view mirror — and now that I’m not in the middle of it any more, I’m sort of surprised to find that I’m glad to have accumulated these experiences. Even the bad ones.

I have really enjoyed his series. You put up with A LOT. I left a very stressful job about 8 years ago. I had to or I would have gone completely crazy. I haven’t had a full time job since. It destroyed my confidence in many ways. Now my child is getting older I am thinking about work again. These posts are a good reminder why I am better off working for myself. I am studying to be a bookkeeper. I look forward to reading the rest of your story.

Hi Steph, thanks for stopping by. Sorry to hear about your own bad employment experience. There are better jobs out there, though — the real challenge is separating the good from the bad prior to accepting a position. So I agree with your comment that in many ways, working for yourself can be better than a company — at least you’re in control of your work to a greater extent, because you report to yourself instead of Random Manager Person. I know what you mean about the bad experiences leaving an imprint, though. Good luck with your search.

6. cic says:

These are such great posts – I’ve enjoyed every one of them and am on my way back to the start to read them with more attention (first time through I was bingeing…). I’ve been wondering about something – you give great detail about the money you were paid, and salary/benefits you chose to forego, and I’m wondering if you’ve ever thought about putting a number on what bad management was costing the company. For example, what financial gains you could have delivered to them if they’d let you choose your priorities rather than pressuring you to manage whatever is at the top of the queue. Other ways companies cost themselves money through bad management include turnover, obviously, but also sabotage, absenteeism, opportunity cost – the good people who chose not to work there – and so on. I think a lot about this because it seems to be a persistent market failure that bad managers keep their jobs for so long, so I wonder what forces keep those people in those roles.

Have you ever speculated about what Cthulhu’s management cost the company?

Glad you’re having a fun romp through my employment history. No sarcasm there, sincerely – These are meant to function as edu-tainment.
      >>”they’d let you choose your priorities rather than pressuring you to manage whatever is at the top of the queue” — No doubt. One of my favorite things to do is automate stuff so that the “top of the queue” problem slowly goes away as a result of fewer incoming items to the queue itself. That’s value-add. But no, I’ve never put a number on potential gains for AnyCompany had I been freer to pursue goals that I personally felt made sense. Cthulhu is a different story — He directly cost FinComp 3 employees (myself, beaker, and another person I didn’t include in the tale) plus he generated a fair amount of inefficiency due to his work style. Given the dollars involved replacing workers, retraining them, etc, I’m sure he’s personally accountable for a minimum of half a million that the company would not have spent, had management been better. Honestly if I had a good manager (or hell, even a decent one!) I would have stayed there, if not forever, at least a few more years. Terrific comp package, that place.

• cic says:

Hey, thanks for the reply. Have you read this piece by Michael Lewis?

The bit about Aleynikov writing elegant code for a thankless employer is kinda heartbreaking. I read this a year ago and still think about it.

Love Michael Lewis, and it’s a fascinating article. He’s such a good writer — the analogies are spot on, e.g. Goldman’s Rubber Band Ball of code that needs constant patching and maintenance. And funny — the FBI guys thought it was suspicious that Serge was sending code to a “Subversion Repository” — as if subversion has anything to do with the word subvert. I read Flash Boys a while back and it contains the story about Serge but in a different format; clearly it’s been edited for Vanity Fair, but interestingly, the changes don’t make it any less appealing or informative. Thanks for sharing.

7. Leigh says:

Every year for the last few years, I’ve maxed out my 401(k) a little early in the year because I ended up with a manager like Cthulhu and then would have missed out on the full match had I left early. My now-employer will give me the same amount of match regardless of when I contribute the max to my 401(k), so I’m going to lump sum going forward.

My last Cthulhu (though not nearly as bad as yours), didn’t even say goodbye to me when I left. I think he secretly wanted to get out too.

I keep having to read your story in multiple sittings because so much of it is resonating with me (minus the drinking – that’s never been something I’ve done much of).

• livafi says:

Re: loading your 401(k) early, I agree with your strategy.
      >>I think he secretly wanted to get out too.
      I’ve come to the conclusion that most people secretly want to get out — particularly people who have been in their industry for at least 15 years. Most people also want to be rich, though, a drive which contributes to most people doing things like climbing the corporate ladder or picking individual stocks. Everyone’s hoping to win the lottery one way or another so they can have more control over their own lives. The thing that most people don’t do is save a huge percentage of their income, making it possible to leave work early without requiring the assistance of so much luck.
      >>minus the drinking
      Good for you. My life has been much improved without that stuff. Nevermind what commercials say: It’s a lousy coping mechanism and doesn’t usually make you feel any better.