The Job Experience, Tech Support: Year #4, Part 1

Year 4

Calm down there, buddy... it's only work!

Calm down there, buddy… it’s only work!

All jobs eventually come to an end.  My tech support role died at the end of year 4.

I didn’t get fired or laid off.  I left because it was time for me to go.  You’re probably wondering how I built up the confidence to leave, given the wreck that I was toward the end of Year 3.

Easy.  I started taking charge of my job, my finances, and my life.

Control.  That’s what this year is all about.

Navigation Tip:  There are links to additional pages (1-9) below, under the sea of garbage.

8 Responses to The Job Experience, Tech Support: Year #4, Part 1

Oh man, you totally owned Mr. Data!!! I am loving this series🙂

Hi Dwayne
      I will say that at the time, it didn’t feel like I owned him (Mr. Data) — In fact, going into that meeting I was pretty sure I was going to get fired on the spot. I wasn’t even super happy when I realized that things worked out — what I felt was much closer to simple relief. I’m very glad you’re getting a kick out of these posts.

2. Wow, that was only year 4! I guess I was lucky to have significant variety in my projects for the first 4 years, I felt like I was just hanging on by my fingernails while I learned what the heck I was getting paid to be an expert at. Getting a PE license my 5th year helped coalesce my self confidence and I did something similar to what you describe the following year, after one of the most miserable years of my life. Middle finger lightsaber, I could definitely use one of those, mine was more of a slow steady wimpering until my manager finally confronted me and I felt like I had nothing to lose (except a job I could barely drag myself to). Looking forward to Year 5!

Hi EV
      Yep, only Year 4 and it’s still not over. I had to split it into parts because it’s so unbelievably long. I know what you mean about hanging on by your fingernails — that’s how I felt year 1 and 2 for sure, before I started making real improvements in skill levels and efficiency. It takes time. Glad you corrected your own Year 3 issue. When work is THAT bad, it colors every aspect of your existence and feels like there’s no escape. And of course there IS an escape but when things are going that poorly you’re usually blind to the solution.

3. I generally agree with you on the alcohol. I keep trying to find a balance but I’m not sure there is one. Whatever it is, I’ve definitely been consuming too much the past couple weeks.

My version of the job experience would be terribly boring reading, but this is entertaining and enlightening, so keep it up🙂 I imagine it’s cathartic for you as well.

re: Vitamin A. I’ve come to the conclusion that some people can find balance and some people can’t. Personally I’m not so good at it and my life runs better when I stay away. But GC, listen, I’d love to read job experience posts from you or anyone else. I find this stuff incredibly interesting — even when it’s not. Such large chunks of the human experience are invested in jobs, even kind of boring ones, and I feel there’s always value in learning what life is like for other people. BTW, just finished up Year 4 and pub’d it.

4. Bank says:

I quit a job in year 4 of my career, walking away from more money than I had ever expected to make in my life because I couldn’t get along with a new manager (immediate cause) and because the amoral nature of my position became impossible to square with my values (underlying cause). It makes a great story now, but at the time I thought I was going to throw up from the stress and cry from the relief.

Really loving this blog. I have spent far too much of my workday following your progress. Keep up the great work.

5. StockBeard says:

Woohoo! I’m reading this series like I’m watching some sort of very cool TV show, totally awesome that you stuck it to Mr. Data🙂