Job Hunting Again

Before ask.com, there was askjeeves.  But he didn't know shit.

Before ask.com, there was askjeeves.
But he didn’t know shit.

It’s hard to believe, but fewer than twelve months into the gig with MegaSoftwareCo, I’m already sure I’m going to leave it.  That final conversation with my manager cemented it, unfortunately. My only way out of doing ticket work was apparently to climb into the ranks of management staff, which seemed crazy to me, like trying to cure a fever by drinking boiling water.  My guess was that it’d just make things worse.

It wasn’t my manager’s fault.  It was the job’s fault.  It was the organization’s fault.  It was the fact that I had plenty of money’s fault — it’s harder to suck it up and accept a bad job when you feel like you’re just about FI because a sense of entitlement creeps up on you.  Like:  I don’t have to deal with this any more, so I won’t.

So, Month 16 finds me working through the job-searching process again.  And I’m careful about it.  I adopted the same approach that helped me to land my sweet job at StartupVille.  First, I go through lots of phone interviews.

Then I interviewed in person with three places between month 16 and month 18.  Two of the three were large-company sweatshops.

But the third gig was promising.

My old manager from StartupVille — the one who had been demoted and took a pay cut to work for Mega — had finally left the company a few months prior.

He took a job with another startup company, as the director of engineering.  They were looking for a systems-engineer and operational guy who could occasionally do customer support.

Since I enjoyed my time with StartupVille and I knew I got along with him, I decided to take a chance on the opportunity.

There’s only one thing that makes me nervous:  I wouldn’t be reporting to him directly.  Nope!  I’d be reporting to the CEO himself, and I got the sense that he was a little weird during the interview process.  I couldn’t quite put my finger on why I thought he was weird but he had this strange energy pouring out of him, projecting outward, and it struck me that maybe this energy was just a little bit unstable, like it contained an radio-isotope that was prone to breaking down.

Still, I wanted to get out of Mega, and it seemed like there was a reasonable chance I’d be happy at the new place.  After all, I’d enjoyed working for the smaller companies more than the bigger ones, overall, and I knew at least one person I’d get along with already.

I talk it over with my wife and it’s decided.  I’m off to the new place, which I will later come to think of as Hell.

Looking back, although I’ll defend my reasoning for taking this particular job, it was, unquestionably, a complete disaster.  Imagine boarding the second Death Star during the construction phase. It’s not even finished — there are large portions of the thing missing.  And yet you’re tasked with getting it to be fully operational so the Emperor can blow up planets.  It ended up being sort of like that, except without the awesomeness of Star Wars.

But I’m getting way ahead of myself.  It’ll all come out in the Year 12 post, which is going to read like the hot mess that it is.

jobtimeline