Personal Update

work work work work

work work work work

I worked a lot.  I saved a lot.  I got closer to FIRE.

Things are good between me and my wife.  When it gets to the point that work is bleeding into our happiness, she suggests I find something else, and I agree.  I’m learning to simply leave jobs if they’re not doing it for me.  It’s a skill I have to flex one more time after Mega.

There isn’t a whole lot else to report on this front during Year 11.

And to be honest, this is one of my primary complaints with corporate life.  Every year is more or less the same.  There might be differences in the specific quantity of work you’re doing. Maybe you go to a cabin retreat with your 2 weeks off, or maybe it’s a ski trip instead.  But the vast majority of your hours are spent doing more or less the same thing as the previous year.

All the more reason to want to be on this path.  Once you’re done, you can write a different story for yourself.

The new one can go any way you want.

Financial Update

nw11 Net Worth at Start (Jan 1, 2010):  +374K

Net Worth at End (July 1, 2011) :  +543K

Note: This update encompasses 18 months, from Jan of 2010 to July of 2011, instead of the normal January to-January interval.

Positives:

• A net worth improvement of over 160K in a year and a half — it’s absolutely stunning.  The half-mil mark is a big milestone and had me feeling pretty awesome.
  • Over this year and a half interval, the S&P 500 shot ahead about 18%.  Bond funds continued to do well, too.  All of my pump-money-into-the-market-while-it’s-down strategies are being validated as the recovery begins.  Despite all of my issues with Mega, my mood is buoyant most of the time.
  • House retained value.
  • Dumped a lot of money in from working overtime, about 20K of post-tax fundage.
  • In late 2010, we refinanced the house from 4.75 to 3.625 with about 1500 in closing costs, saving $400/mo.

Negatives:

• Spent another 10K on home improvements.  Lots of misc stuff and it added up.  Many of these things were DIY.  Exceptions:  2K for stone/mortar work in the front walkway, professional asphalt patching on the front driveway, and tree removal (2k).  (We had not one but two unsafe oak trees that had split Vs which makes them prone to collapse in strong wind or icestorms.)
  • I don’t know if this is a negative but I spent 5K on a car for my brother.  I don’t believe in giving money to family in general but in this case I made an exception. He finally landed a decent job after being unemployed for 3 years but had to commute 20 miles each way. Mom couldn’t afford to help him, Dad had more or less disowned him for all sorts of reasons I won’t get into here.  To avoid the inherent messiness in intra-family loans, after a lot of internal debate, I decided to give it to him, straight up.  He still has that job, and he’s taking good care of the vehicle, so it’s working out so far.  Note: I don’t recommend other people do these sorts of things unless you can afford to give a gift outright and have no expectation of getting paid pack.

The Job Experience, StartupVille: Years 9 and 10 <<  >> The Job Experience, Hell: Year #12